The dictionary defines self-worth as “the sense of one’s own value or worth as a person.” However, there are many ways for a person to value themselves and assess their worth as a human being, and some of these are more psychologically beneficial than others.
Your levels of self worth can affect what decisions you make in life. The decisions you make then go on to create the life you live. Basically, when you have a lower self worth, you will choose less for yourself, because you don’t believe you are worth it. When you have higher self worth, you will choose more for yourself because you believe you are worth it.
Many people often down size their self worth, they don’t feel worthy of their own greatness and thus fall short of using their own potential to create a good life for themselves. This may be because at some point in their life something happened to them, to make them feel less worthy and they believed it to be true. Their belief of being worth less then created thoughts, behaviours and actions (often unconsciously) to fulfil that lower sense of worth.
How many times have you come across someone that does not have a high level of self worth? You may see them putting up with bad relationships, take on jobs way below their capabilities or stay stuck in a job they hate, they may sabotage their health with addictive behaviours, they may live life on a constant survival mode, just getting by day by day. These people don’t choose anything better for themselves because they don’t really believe they are worth it, deserve it or can get it.
Maybe some of this resonates with you on a certain level in your life? It did for me in my life for a very long time, I didn’t feel worthy enough on so many levels and I would jeopardise my own potential and happiness by some of the choices I made until I decided to change.
To increase your level of worthiness so that you will no longer under rate yourself, for your life to improve for the better. You can decide right now to make the change with some tips below.
Making a decision to have higher self worth can start with;
- Choosing to not listen to your inner critic which always wants to tell you are under rated and less than you are thus sabotaging your own happiness
- Stop comparing yourself to others. In this world there will always be someone that seems better than you, so just focus on being the best you can be instead
- Focus on your strengths not your weaknesses
- Act lovingly towards yourself always
- Respect yourself always
- Let go of people in your life who drag down and choose to be around people that lift you up
- Explore any limiting beliefs you carry and make a decision to change them into supporting ones
- Recognise and reward all your successes (however small some may seem)
- Forgive yourself (and others) often
- Learn something new and stick with it to get a sense of achievement
- Take a few risks. Always playing it safe can bring on stagnation in life. It’s worth remembering that the biggest risk in life is not ever taking a risk
- Start changing your thinking habits into being more optimistic about yourself, instead of “I can’t do that, you could’ say ‘I’ve never tried this before, but I will give it a go and see what happens”.
- Help others when you can, and allow others to help you when you need the help. Ask for help if you do.
- Face your fears, you will find they are not real when you do so
- Know that there is no such thing as failure in life, apart from not ever trying in the first place
- When you are complimented, accept it for what is and don’t dismiss it as just nothing
- Compliment others when the time arises to do so, and make sure you mean it
- Listen to people and what they have to say, a good listener is always highly valued
- Say yes when you mean yes and no when you mean no and not the other way round
- Take pride in your appearance, dress smart for any occasion. However superficial this can seem to some, it still makes you feel good about yourself
- Walk tall as if you are going some where very important. You are, you are travelling along in your life and that’s worth walking tall for.
I hope these tips help you, because you are worthy and do deserve the best in life just like anyone else.
When your levels of self worth go up, you will behave differently which will be in alignment with a higher worth, and you will be motivated to make improvements in your life because you know you are worth it.
As a coach I’ve helped people increase their levels of self worth using NLP techniques that can tackle the problem at the unconscious level in the mind for the positive change to occur. These people have gone on to make drastic improvements to their life and some examples of the success stories for these people are: getting a better paid job, improving their relationship, stepping up to lead others, making healthier choices thus healing their body, going for their dream life and living it. If you would like me to help you improve your levels self worth please click Here and drop me a quick line. I am here to help you because….